Frog in knots

Knitting, knots and frogging.

Monday, June 18, 2007

Reduced to the status of a bum

I'll be drinking lighter fluid in the gutter next.

You know your knitting experience is going downhill when you resort to broken needles and novelty yarn. If the FO wasn't for my favourite wee person there'd be no hope of me working like this.

I've broken both my 3.5mm bamboo straights and circ and don't have this size in any other type of needle so with a pencil sharpener and an emery board I produced a (just about) workable tool. The yarn was given to me by a friend who was clearing out her knitting things. In fairness it wasn't too horrific to work with, but I wouldn't be in a hurry to use it again. Being unable to see the stitches drives me potty.

This Teddy Bear Bodywarmer took me a little longer than I hoped because apparently I was drinking lighter fluid in the gutter or damn near to it at Scarlett's Dad's birthday when during the evening of a day long BBQ and drinking session I saw fit to pick up the needles. Despite a fellow knitter begging me to put them down I insisted on KUI (knitting under the influence) and paid it for a day later when I'd obviously made a mistake but couldn't see where the heck it was and had to rip.

I brought it home because I didn't fancy sewing in a zip with the mother of all hangovers but it will soon be winging it's way back to her. This is just a bigger size of the mink gilet I made a while ago. She wore it so often that when she outgrew it her Mum was devastated and asked for another. Although I was dreading using this yarn I felt it was perfect for the project. I didn't follow the pattern (Knits for Babies and Toddlers by Fiona McTague) as it has an awkward construction involving pockets, but instead worked out the size required from my gauge swatch and went from there skipping the pockets entirely. She won't miss them, she's a handbag kinda girl.

29 Comments:

At 8:43 pm, Blogger Stefaneener said...

Oh my word.
That's about the funniest story I've heard in a while, complete with sober begging friend. The warmup is very cute (you know she will curse you when she's 13, don't you?) and you are a dear to knit it for the wee one.

 
At 11:28 pm, Blogger cpurl17 said...

Some friends take away the keys but knitty friends take away the needles.

Hope your hangover wasn't too nasty. French fries help.

 
At 1:17 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are so funny! And so sweet making up that cute little outfit. She will be just adorable in it.

 
At 1:35 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i just love that little bear body warmer! Cutest thing!

 
At 2:03 am, Blogger KnitPastis said...

You are too funny! Yes, we do resort to some strange things with our knitting sometimes:)
Lucky little ones that get these outfits because they are the cutest outfits.

 
At 2:47 am, Blogger Batty said...

KUI is bad, even when you're not working with weird acrylic! The body warmer is adorable, though. I'm sure it will be loved and worn a lot.

Oh, and I just thought of something worse than knitting with yarn that makes it impossible to see the stitches: crocheting with the stuff!

 
At 3:01 am, Blogger reluctantMANGO said...

What a huge compliment to be asked to knit the jacket again! She must really love the sweater :) Thanks for your comments today, seeing everyone sharing in my joy just brings tears to my eyes. 'Course that could just be the hormones!

 
At 7:05 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

KUI... hehehehehe

Very inventive solution to the broken needle problem and extremely cute body warmer.

 
At 10:44 am, Blogger Donna said...

Awww, that's so cute.

 
At 11:06 am, Blogger Bezzie said...

Way to go salvaging those needles! That warmup is too cute!!

 
At 12:10 pm, Blogger T said...

I just love that knit, it's too sweet and it looked adorable on Scarlett :)

Yeah, well, you're only young once - you might as well enjoy it hon! Just don't allow photographic evidence is my only advice.

 
At 3:15 pm, Blogger KnitYoga said...

LOL! It's a wonder the fuzz didn't pull you up for drink knitting! Very resourceful with the pencil sharpener and emery board. The bodywarmer is so cute though and so worth all the hassle! No wonder Scarlett's mum wanted another for her!

 
At 8:09 pm, Blogger Zonda said...

I thought there was something up with that needle! LOL! Great top, she looks good in her first one, I'm sure this one is well loved too! KUI...yikes, I'd probably stab myself with a needle...or sit on it ;)

 
At 11:21 pm, Blogger Samantha said...

LOL ... Friends don't let friends knit drunk.

I love the little sweater. Too cute! Where is the pattern from?

 
At 12:04 am, Blogger turtlegirl76 said...

And here I first thought that was you about to cast on for a sock doing magic loop. Sadly, it's not a sock. But it's cute! And wasn't it you that told a story about puking blue once after a night of drinking?

 
At 2:22 am, Blogger HPNY KNITS said...

bear body warmer is adorable! so sweet. the kid looks like a little bear cub.
:-)

 
At 3:23 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! I could never KUI, heaven only knows what I would produce!

 
At 9:22 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL. I'll join you in the gutter ;)

What a cute bodywarmer and clever repair with the needles, but was it the yarn that drove you to KUI?

 
At 12:35 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I seriously, seriously love this pattern. And I actually sort of like the effect of not being able to see the stitches -- it almost looks fleece-like. If I didn't have a fear of attaching zippers I'd have this high on my project queue.

Glad the KUI didn't result in the revocation of your knitting license.

 
At 1:08 pm, Blogger Seahorse said...

You're so funny! :) The teddy bear body warmer looks gorgeous!

 
At 2:28 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're an inspiration. But shame on you for KUI.

 
At 9:37 pm, Blogger Melissa said...

That is the cutest pattern and she is absolutely adorable.

 
At 10:22 am, Blogger Piglottie said...

Its so cute - and what a funny story. Knitting under the influence - LOL :) but what a rescue!

 
At 3:16 pm, Blogger Kath said...

Such a cute body warmer but knitting under the influence with rescued needles - the things we knitters do! LOL! Is that yarn called 'Darling'? If it is I know just what it's like to knit up - first think I gave up with due to the yarn!

 
At 7:18 am, Blogger artyfartykat said...

LOL!!
Recycled needles? Its hip to be green! ( especially a frog!)
The body warmer looks fab and just to see that cute photo must make all the hassle of knitting the bodywarmer with novelty yarn worthwhile!
Hope the hangovers cured!

 
At 6:39 pm, Blogger dreamcatcher said...

That is such a cute gilet!

 
At 7:24 pm, Blogger Heather said...

Even the wankers on the street don't....... knit drunk?

Abso-flippin-lutely my favorite film - can't help quote it to the annoyance and bewilderment of Yankie friends, for whom I have to translate it - sigh...

Out hiking t'other day I quoted the line, "The sky is beginning to bruise and we will be forced to camp." It's surprising that I have any friends left at all!!

Anyhoooos - Very nice knitting and needle fixing job - and just look at that little bunny rabbit in his bear suit!

As a boy I would weep in butcher's shops......

 
At 2:29 am, Blogger Sarah said...

hahahahaha!

Oh goodness.... thanks for the laugh, now that you've recovered I am sure it's good and funny to you too :)

 
At 2:06 pm, Blogger allisonmariecat said...

Thank you for the laugh! (My husband just asked, "What on *earth* are you reading that's that funny?")

 

Post a Comment

<< Home