Frog in knots

Knitting, knots and frogging.

Thursday, July 05, 2007

Budge Up!

Make room boys and girls because I've brainwashed another into this cult of ours...

Although Jenn has knitted before and tends to pick up the needles when I visit, this is the first time I've seen that wild look in her eyes that means she's hooked forever. The phrase 'in a minute I just want to finish this row' was uttered to her husband (really must introduce her to knitting in the round and never-ending rows) and it was an early bedtime for the little one so she could squeeze a few more rows in before turning in herself.

I got the sense that she was chomping at the bit to have a go herself from the wistful looks she gave me while I was knitting this wee number for Scarlett (a simple top down t-shirt in Sirdar Denim with crocheted edges)

and my hand was snatched off when I offered needles and yarn. Jenn confessed she loves to knit but doesn't have the confidence if I'm not around to help, so we did a wee master class in fixing common mistakes and she was off. Can we have a collective aw for the fact that her stash fits in a shoe box and a wicked cackle for knowing that it won't fit in there much longer.

Since she'd nicked my second project yarn I set about raiding her stash (some old scraps of mine for practising with) to knit some clothes for 'Baby', Scarlett's doll that arrived nekkid apart from a hat.To spare Baby's blushes I whipped up a wee cardigan and some lurid yellow trousers.

You might be wondering where my taste went when I made these but they're to help teach Scarlett about getting dressed and her colours. More loud and unmatching doll clothes are on the agenda, although I won't be cheeky and pass these off as my remaining sweater quota. Scarlett's next on the knitter-to-be hit list and although it will be a few years before she's fully turned - the yarn love part started six months ago...

25 Comments:

At 10:37 pm, Blogger Seahorse said...

That's one funky punky doll!

Another one sucked in, eh? Bwhahaha!!!

 
At 11:02 pm, Blogger Tusa said...

Hey well done! One more knitter to keep the craft alive. I was also listening to past podcasts of BritKnitCast. I enjoyed your interview and will be browsing your patterns. Did your baby pattern get published? Sorry if I missed the announcement.

 
At 11:05 pm, Blogger Zonda said...

Cute top and doll clothes! Yikes, did you get the poor girl sunglasses to look at those pants LOL! Yay for another knitter in the midst. I like your comment on the box o'yarn, that won't be that small any longer! How true it is!

 
At 11:16 pm, Blogger turtlegirl76 said...

Yay for assimilation! And um, I hear babies like bright colors better since they can see them easily. Yeah. That's it.

 
At 12:09 am, Blogger Bezzie said...

One down and then looks like you're well on your way to turning Scarlett!

 
At 1:22 am, Blogger Bonnie said...

Hey, wht do you mean, "lurid"? I actually like those colors!

Go you!

 
At 3:01 am, Blogger KnitPastis said...

Hey, you are quite the teacher and designer:) Very well done! You got another person to have fun knitting with.

 
At 4:32 am, Blogger Stefaneener said...

Awwww. You're such a good friend. I love the stripes on the cardi.

Good luck teaching her to dress using them, though. Bwah.

 
At 11:18 am, Blogger Linda said...

We will take over the world soon! If I was that doll though I would have refused the trousers, great idea for teaching dressing though!

 
At 11:35 am, Blogger artyfartykat said...

Jenn, welcome to our world!
Can't see her stash fitting into a shoe box for too much longer!
Love the top, its so cute! And great idea for teaching colours too!

 
At 1:59 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

muhahhhahahah well done! Who's next on the list??

 
At 4:33 pm, Blogger acrylik said...

Another knitter sucked into the yarny void, marvellous ;)

Love the top you knit for Scarlett, adorable.

And that doll is fantastic... at one time in my life I would quite happily have worn those colours together ;)

 
At 4:58 pm, Blogger cpurl17 said...

Ah yes, I remember the days when my stash fit in a shoe box.

And welcome Jenn to our world!

 
At 5:03 pm, Blogger Batty said...

Your knitting is always so beautiful, but your gratuitous baby/kid pictures are setting off my biological clock something awful! That's just too cute.

 
At 5:59 pm, Blogger HPNY KNITS said...

well done indeed on the "conversion"
she definitely got the "wild look"
:-)

 
At 2:02 pm, Blogger allisonmariecat said...

Very stylish doll :) What a great idea for teaching colors and getting dressed at the same time!

Scarlett is adorable, as usual.

 
At 7:25 pm, Blogger Shelley L. MacKenzie said...

Love to doll clothes! Isn't it great when we draw another person over to the Knitside...hehehe. I just taught my friend's 7 year old daughter to knit this past Monday. I'll see how she's progressed (if her mom's helped her) on Sunday. Maybe I'll take my camera and try to get a pic of her knitting and post on my blog (with her mom's permission of course).

 
At 11:22 pm, Blogger Heather said...

Hook 'em in!

"aw"

"wicked cackle"

I want an outfit like that for me - lovin' those yellow trews - "swing yer pants"!

 
At 12:28 pm, Blogger Piglottie said...

Converts!!! Yeah!!! I had to laugh at the pic of Jenn though, look at the concentration on her face and that "I'm thoroughly hooked" look :) And yes, I did cackle out loud (col?) when I thought of her stash potential :)

 
At 11:08 am, Blogger Daisy said...

Haha, I remember when my stash fitted in a shoe box!!

 
At 2:29 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You think those doll clothes are just to teach Scarlet about colors and dressing herself, but one day when she insists on wearing yellow trousers to her own wedding, you'll finally realize the strength of your powers.

 
At 6:32 pm, Blogger Modelwidow said...

There can never be too many of us, it`s good that Jenn has joined.

Scarlett`s top is adorable, and I`m all for bright and cheerful dolls clothes - just why is it all little girls insist on carting their dollies about bare!

 
At 6:40 pm, Blogger knitty_kat said...

um, where would one go about finding directions for your simple top down t?

 
At 10:00 am, Blogger Artis-Anne said...

Yahoo :) & welcome to the mad world of knitters and lets see your satch in 6 months time ;)
.

 
At 11:10 pm, Blogger Unknown said...

One more knitter brought into the fold! Good work!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home